Living with diabetes
Our Credentialled Diabetes Educators can help you to adapt to a life with diabetes, support you to set goals for self-managing your diabetes, and educate you on the diabetes process.
They can support you with:
- Eating and diabetes
- Exercise and diabetes
- Diabetes sick day management
- Complications of diabetes
- Tools to help you manage your diabetes
Credentialled Diabetes Educators are available Monday to Friday at our Eaglehawk site and at outreach clinics located at Strathfieldsaye Primary Health and Elmore Primary Health.
A referral from another health provider (ie GP, Nurse, Physio) is preferred, but self-referral can also be accepted.
There is a cost of $5 for an appointment.
To make an appointment call BCHS on 5406 1200.
A dietitian is available on Fridays at our Eaglehawk site for diet and diabetes information. An appointment costs $5 and you will need a referral from your doctor or our diabetes education team.
Diabetes Group Exercise Sessions
Let our exercise physiologist show you how to exercise safely and right to help manage your Type 2 diabetes.
To learn more about our Diabetes Group Exercise Session click here
Diabetes for Life! program
The Life! Program is a Victorian lifestyle modification program that helps you reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- cardiovascular disease (including myocardial infarction, angina and angioplasty)
- gestational diabetes
- moderate or severe Chronic Kidney Disease
- familial hypercholesterolemia
- serum total cholesterol >7.5mmol/L
- systolic BP of ≥ 180mmHg or diastolic BP of ≥ 110mmHg
- impaired glucose tolerance (by FPG, OGTT or HbA1c)
- polycystic ovary syndrome
- 45 years or more, or ≥ 35 years and of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, and have an Absolute Risk score of ≥10% when referred by a GP clinic
For more information, contact our community health nurse on 5406 1200 or visit http://www.lifeprogram.org.au/
To read Lloyd's testimonial on how a routine check started his journey to a new Life! click here