Community Diabetes Clinic
What is the BCHS Community Diabetes Clinic?
This is a specialised Diabetic GP led clinic seeking to assist local practices to better manage diabetic patients in partnership with the Bendigo Health Endocrinology clinic. The clinic is a collaboration of the BCHS Medical Practice and Chronic Disease Management program, providing interim specialised medical advice and support to people with Type 2 Diabetes.
To assist in managing complex patients prior to accessing the Bendigo Health Endocrinology clinic (which has extended wait periods), Bendigo Community Health Services offers expertise advice and support from Dr Jaskarandip Singh and Credentialed Diabetes Educators.
This service may be accessed by referral from General Practitioner or Practice Nurse (attention to Community Diabetes Clinic at Bendigo Community Health Services). The patient’s referring doctor will receive continued update reports which will support the holistic care of their patients.
Who is Eligible to attend the Community Diabetes Clinic?
- Adults 20 years + with Type 2 diabetes
- Complex or difficult to manage Type 2 diabetes requiring further short-term management
- Waiting for endocrinology input and needing interim specialised medical management
- There may be a fee associated with the service-advised at time of booking
- Health care card holders will be bulk billed
- Ongoing Diabetes Education at BCHS may be recommended
- By Referral Only (must be from GP or Practice Nurse)
- To be accepted the referral must contain medical history and current medication list as well as any other relevant information, GPMP if completed
- All referrals must contain copies of recent pathology including HbA1c, full lipid profile, renal function inc microalbumin (other pathology is helpful but not essential-TFTs, LFTs, vit D etc)
BCHS will provide a report on assessment and recommendations to the caring GP for continuing management. This service is fully supportive of the continuing relationship being maintained with a clients local GP, please indicate if ongoing diabetes support and management is being sought from BCHS in the referral.