Do you have at least one spare day each week and a desire to help us settle refugees into a new life in Bendigo?
Yes! Brilliant! Please read on ...
With a large number of new families arriving in Bendigo, we need some dedicated, long-term volunteers to support our Humanitarian Settlement Program.
These volunteers must be available at least one full day each week to support our refugee families attend appointments, learn how to use public transport and to find private rental properties.
In the area of housing, our volunteers will need to:
- build strong relationships with real estate agents.
- carry out online real estate searches.
- attend open inspections to ensure properties are appropriate.
- support clients to complete lease or bond applications.
- attend lease signings.
- organise utility connections.
- complete condition reports before families move in.
In the area of transport, our volunteers will we need to:
- Teach individuals and families how to use public transport to attend appointments or visit key sites in Bendigo.
- Teach them about the Myki system and how this is used.
All of our volunteers must have a current Working With Children certificate and Victoria Police Check but we can also work with you to get these if needed.
We would also love to hear from any landlords who might have suitable rental properties for our new families.